14th International Workshop on Descriptional Complexity of Formal Systems

Braga
Braga, the council capital, gathers its secular importance with an up-date commercial and industrial prosperity. The beautiful squares and gardens, the museums with their precious collections, the hotels and restaurants, the large number of recognised monuments and the historical centre, are some of the things that make of this "Portuguese Rome" a favourite touristic destination. It's located in the heart of Minho, where feast, fairs and "romarias" are held in most days of the year. This is a region where folklore is most alive and colourful mainly because the bright colours of the clothes and the liveliness of their singing and dancing. A festival of flavours and subtle perfumes is the cooking of Minho, product of the wise valorization of the fruits of the earth, which may be washed down with the young, fresh and fruity green wine. In Minho "there is not a day without feast and a feast without wine". Braga is the spiritual home of Portugal, with around 35 churches built across the city. From this and its religious history it is also called "the city of Archbishops". People celebrate "Holly Week" with the most solemnity and splendour. During this week, the city is transformed by all its Easter decorations, ceremonies and processions.

Braga guide ( from Minho University)
Places to see
Stacks Image 360
The Sé Cathedral is considered the centre of Episcopalian diffusion and one of the most important temples of the Portuguese Roman style. Its history goes back to the work of the first bishop, D. Pedro of Braga, corresponding to the restoration of the Episcopalian See in 1070, of which there are no traces. In this cathedral, you will find the tombs of Henrique of Borgonha and his wife, Teresa of Leão, the Counts of the Condado Portucalense (first Portuguese County) and parents of king D. Afonso Henriques.

Map
Casa dos Biscainhos
Stacks Image 367
The building dates possibly from the late 16th century and like others manor houses, the edifice has undergone many restorations and additions over the years. However, the dominant period is that of the 18th century, displaying exquisite interiors with walls in azulejos and ceilings with beautiful relief stucco work and paintings of this period. The baroque framing of the palace is provided by the magnificent gardens. The museum exhibits, on a permanent basis, collections of Decorative arts, integrating areas in which the atmosphere of the 18th century Northern Manor House is recreated.

Map
Arco da Porta Nova
Stacks Image 374
The “Arco da Porta Nova" is the gate of entrance into the city. It was built in 1512, in the era of Archbishop D. Diogo de Sousa. The present construction dates back to 1772 and was designed by André Soares and commissioned by the Archbishop D. Gaspar de Bragança.

Map
Archiepiscopal Court (Largo do Paço)
Stacks Image 381
is a palace in Sé, district of Braga. The Palace is a set of three different buildings with distinct characteristics and time periods. The Eastern wing (facing the Santa Barbara Garden is of Gothic style and dates to the 14th and 15th centuries. The Western wing (facing the Municipio Square) was built in the 18th century in the Portuguese Northern Baroque style. The South wing, defining the Paço Square, is composed of various buildings from the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries. Presently, the building lodges the Rectorate of the University of Minho, the Public Library and the District Archive.

Map
Archaelogical sites
Stacks Image 388
The ruins of Bracara Augusta can still be seen today, a city founded by Emperor Augustus between 300 BC and AD 400. It became the Roman capital of northern Iberia and was later occupied by Visigoths and Arabs. Since the 1970s, efforts have been made to preserve the complex archaeological structures that still remain.
Bom Jesus do Monte Sanctuary
Stacks Image 395
Surrounded by magnificent gardens, the neoclassical church was designed by Carlos Amarante in the late 18th century. The famous baroque stairway zigzags up to the church, featuring enchanting fountains and statues along the way. Visitors can also take the funicular (cable car) or drive to the top.
Mosteiro de São Martinho de Tibães
Stacks Image 402
The Monastery of St Martin of Tibães is a monastery situated in the parish of Mire de Tibães, near Braga, in northern Portugal. It was the mother house of the Benedictine order in Portugal and Brazil, and it is known for the exuberant Rococo decoration of its church.

Map
Citânia de Briteiros (Briteiros citadel)
Stacks Image 409
One of the best preserved archaeological sites in the Minho is the Citânia de Briteiros, the ruins of a Celto-Iberian settlement dating back to 300 BC. Archaeologists have discovered the foundations of more than 150 round stone huts, paved roads, cattle sheds and water conduits. Two huts have been reconstructed on site and fascinating relics are on display at the Museu de Martins Sarmento in Guimarães, including painted pottery, carved stones, weapons and jewellery.

Map
Around Braga
Peneda-Gerês
Stacks Image 420
Peneda-Gerês is the only National Park in Portugal and is located in the Northwest part of the country. The PGNP belongs to the PAN Parks network.

Park website
Park head office at Braga