This book is about learning how to use R for
performing data mining.
The book follows
a "learn by doing it" approach to data mining
instead of the more frequent theoretical description
of the techniques available in this discipline.
This is accomplished by presenting a series of
illustrative case studies for which all necessary
steps, code and data are provided to the
The book writing style
establishes it as a good source for practical
classes on data mining, but also as an
attractive document to professionals working on data
mining in non-academic environments.
of the main data mining processes and techniques are
covered in the book by means of the presentation of
four detailed case studies:
- Predicting algae blooms
- Predicting stock market returns
- Detecting fraudulent transactions
- Classifying microarray samples
Luis Torgo has a degree in Systems and Informatics
Engineering and a PhD in Computer Science. He is currently
an Associate Professor of the Department of Computer Science
of the Faculty of Sciences of the University of Porto. He
is also a researcher of the Laboratory of Artificial
Intelligence and Data Analysis (LIAAD) belonging to INESC
Porto LA. Luis Torgo has been an active researcher in Machine
Learning and Data Mining for more than 20 years. He has
lead several academic and industrial Data Mining research
projects. Luis Torgo accompanies the R project almost since
its beginning, using it on his research activities. He
teaches R at different levels and has given several courses
in different countries.
- 2012-02-23: New version (0.2.2) of the book R package was released. Please Update! See release notes.
- 2011-11-20: One full year in a row as #1 selling Data Mining book at amazon.com!
- 2011-06-19: Six months in a row as #1 selling Data Mining book at amazon.com!
- 2011-04-14: New version (0.2.1) of the book R package was released. Please Update! See release notes.
- 2011-03-19: Three months in a row as #1 selling Data Mining book at amazon.com!
- 2011-03-17: New version (0.2.0) of the book R package was released. Please Update! See release notes.
- 2011-02-14/16: Course on Data Mining with R at the University of São Paulo, Brazil.
- 2010-12-19: #1 at amazon.com data mining books sales rank!.
- 2010-11-29: #1 at amazon.co.uk data mining books sales rank!.
- 2010-11-26: Book R package available on CRAN.
- 2010-11-20: Book is available!
- 2010-10-13: Book went to the printer!
- 2010-08-25: Book cover decided.
- 2010-05-10: Book entered the production stage.