My main research area is the sequential and parallel implementation of Logic Programming, such as YAP. My major goal is to develop engines that allow people to take advantage of logic programming to tackle real-life problems. In the last few years, this has led me to collaborate with researchers from other areas, and I have been fortunate to contribute to developments in Inductive Logic Programming and Statistical Relational Learning, with applications to Bioinformatics, Medical Informatics and Social Network Analysis.
Main research topics:
- Implementation of sequential logic programming systems, such as YAP.
- Parallel Logic Programming, with Andorra-I, OPTYap, IDIOM, DAOS, COW, multicore support.
- Inductive Logic Programming with contributions to ILP Efficiency, Applications, R-KNN, R-KMeans.
- Statistical Relational Learning, namely with CLP(BN), View Learning, and Theory Revision.
I serve in the following program committees:
Last year, I was co program-chair for Discovery Science 2009
I am a member of the ACM and of ALP (Association for Logic Programming). I was nominated to stand for election at the ALP Executing Committee. This is my statement.
- Max Pereira (UP), with Rui Camacho and Rui Brito.
- Aline Paes (UFRJ), with Gerson Zaverucha
- Leandro Marzulo (UFRJ), with Felipe França
- Carlos Ferreira (UP), with João Gama.
- Filipe Santos (UP), replacing Ricardo Lopes.
- Kate Revoredo (UFRJ), with Gerson Zaverucha.
- Anderson Faustino da Silva (UFRJ, 2006)
- Manuel Eduardo Correia (UP, 2001), with Fernando Silva.
- Ricardo Lopes (UP, 2001), with Fernando Silva.
- Ricardo Rocha (UP, 2001), with Fernando Silva.
- Joel da Costa Santos (UFRJ, 2008), with Gerson Zaverucha.
- Cristiane Magalhães (UFRJ, 2008), with Felipe França.
- Leandro Marzulo (UFRJ, 2007), with Felipe França.
- Juliana Silva Bernardes (UFRJ, 2005), with Gerson Zaverucha.
- Aline Marins Paes (UFRJ, 2005), with Gerson Zaverucha.
- Roberto Francisco Ligeiro Marques (UFRJ, 2005), with Felipe França.
- José Afonso Lages Sanches (UFRJ, 2004), with Inês Dutra.
- Thobias Trevisan (UFRJ, 2003), with Claudio Amorim.
- Ricardo Lopes (UM/UP, 1996), with José Maia Neves.
Management (In Portuguese)
Pertenço às Comissões de:
- Licenciatura em Ciência de Computadores
Teaching (In Portuguese)
Alguns Cursos Antigos:
- Sistemas Embebidos (em conjunto com Luís Lopes)
- Administração de Sistemas
- Arquitectura de Computadores
- Bioinformática (MIM)
- Introdução à Programação
- Advanced Topics in Data Mining and Logic Programming
- COS773: Sistemas Operacionais (2006)
- COS740: Inteligência Artificial (2004)
- COS774: Compiladores (2003)
- Licenciado in Engenharia Electrotécnica e de Computadores, DEEC, FEUP, Universidade do Porto.
- Professor at Departamento de Ciência de Computadores, FCUP since 1985
- PhD, Computer Science, University of Bristol, Thesis: on Compile-Time Analysis for the Parallel Execution of Logic Programs in Andorra-I, 1993.
- Professor at COPPE/Sistemas, UFRJ, from 1999 to 2007. I am a level 2 researcher at CNPq (grant suspended).
- Visiting Professor at Dep de Biostatistics and Medical Informatics, UW-Madison, in 2001-2002 and 2004-2005.
- Researcher at LIACC until 2007.